Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Making my way across.

Where to begin. Since my last entry I've had the opportunity to meet some great people and see wonderful places. At the moment I'm traveling through Arkansas on my way towards the St.Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis, TN and it's been amazing. The scenery between Oklahoma and where I am is incredible. The leaves are starting to turn varying shades of yellow, red, and orange all over. I visited some cities that had some interesting to them. I got to see a good amount of Fort Smith, AR thanks to my CouchSurfing host there, in Muskogee, OK I visited the the Oklahoma Music Hall Of Fame and got a bit of an education, I went to a convenience store in New Blaine, AR that was once a school and learned that Johnny Cash once performed there, and then I spent Thanksgiving at Petit Jean State Park. In between visiting all these places I met some of the kindest people I have ever had the opportunity to meet. That's one of the things I will remember most about Oklahoma and Arkansas. Along the way I also met a former St.Jude patient who is now an adult and some guys who are riding their bike across America to raise awareness for at risk youth. Now that I'm nearing the St.Jude hospital in Memphis, TN I'm getting a little nervous, for the most part what I feel is excitement. I've been working hard on trying to get more donations before my arrival as well as some additional press. For anybody who has never been to Oklahoma or Arkansas I recommend visiting these two states and if you can stop by Petit Jean State Park because the landscape is incredible.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mario, glad to see you are nearer to St. Jude's and hopefully getting a chance to see the kids ! Also glad you are safe. I know the weather is sure getting cold at night so I hope you are finding more friends to CS with along the way. Would you believe I have another request, for another person walking - this time from FL to CA, but a personal journey rather than fundraising.
    Keeping you in our thoughts here in OK!
    ~Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melanie,

    I'm in Memphis, TN still and I'll be here through Christmas. The weather has been good. Once I leave here I'll be making my south towards the gulf. It will be warmer down there. I've been corresponding with a couple of other walkers who are on a personal journey. I hope the boys are having a good holiday. Cheers :)

    ~Mario

    ReplyDelete